Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It's what's for dinner

Today was kind of a bust.

The Manga Cafe did help us get through the night, without question. That hooker out front wasn't helpful but once we got in there, we had shelter, drinks, and web access. $18 for 8 hours indoors was definitely better than wandering Tokyo for another hour in search of Capsule Hotels that may or may not exist.

On the other hand, our booths were directly underneath the air conditioner, which was at full blast all damn night. We were freezing. Also, the booths were likely constructed for people who are, on average, smaller than us. I never could stretch all the way out.

To top it all off, I think I've pinched a nerve in my back. All night, and for most of today, I've been experiencing a stabbing pain going up and down my leg, and no particular motion or position seems to touch it off or alleviate it. It's no damn fun at all. I checked for actual Japanese citizens stabbing me, and it's not that, so I'm thinking, yeah, pinched nerve. It sucks. When we finally got back to our hotel this morning, those of us who didn't really sleep last night (including me) just lay down and passed out. The others got some errands run during the day, apparently, but I feel bad. We haven't really gotten to do anything fun or vacationy today, and I feel sure that my crankiness over not sleeping and my damn back and leg hurting hasn't helped matters at all. I'm bringin' us down, man. We did not fly all this way to sit in our hotel room and not enjoy Japan.

Tonight ought to improve matters some. At my suggestion, it looks like we're going to go out and do shabu-shabu, a delicious thing where they bring you heaps of beef and you cook it in a broth you just made out of vegetables you just cooked and then the water gets more and more brothy from all the beef and veggies and then you cook more stuff in it and then you keep eating. It's typically all-you-can-eat. Oh, and: all-you-can-drink. If that doesn't cheer us up, then we're a lost cause. So we've got that going for us. Which is nice.

Ah well. We shall forge on and turn this vacation back around. Tomorrow we're going out to the countryside, and on Friday, we're hitting Kyoto. Should be pretty sweet. I understand there's stuff there. In the meantime, here are some photos from the last couple of days!


This is a karaoke spot on the edges of Amerika-mura. Despite the location, they didn't speak any English.

Didn't stop us.




This was actually the theme on every shirt in this place. I can't remember its actual name but it will remain in my memory as the Ronald vs Colonel Emporium.



Grilled crab legs at Kani Doraku. At night, that giant crab behind us moves. I think it is trying to claw visitors and wreak vengeance. It's not very good at wreaking.


David is about to ride the nicest shinkansen of his life.


nyo


Akihabara during the daytime. Pick any building; there are vices to be treated.


how do i shot alien


Akihabara at night. Pick any building, chances are it's sent someone to hell today.


Pork burger on rice patties. I am sad we don't have these. Get to work, Arby's.


I think I'm tired at this point. I don't yet know where I'll be spending the night.

To the shabu!

6 comments:

Carol Henning said...

Hope your dinner is/was shabulous!

Maybe you can find a pharmacy and get some ibuprofen (Advil-type pain reliever) for your back.

Carol Henning said...

Just read this:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/travel/21beer.html?ex=1350619200&en=2b808f6bbf3e64a7&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss

Don't know if it's of any use, but couldn't hurt.

Anonymous said...

I own stock in both McDonald's and the company that owns KFC. I say the Colonel and the clown ought to gang up and rip the stuffing out of Oven Mitt, and then pull Wendy's pigtails. Yay for corporate death matches!

Tony said...

I would definitely admire to have one of those Colonel vs. Ronald t-shirts. Very classy.

Harriett Gross said...

I have sent several comments but it seems I must have done something wrong because I don't see them posted

Grandma

Harriett Gross said...

I have sent several comments but it seems I must have done something wrong because I don't see them posted

Grandma